Monday, June 25, 2012

Singing Is My Secret Super Power

Okay, so... I sing. Not something I think I am the best at in the world, but it is something I do well.  I'm nobody's Macy Gray (and nor do I want to be... no offense to her fans just not my idea of good sangin'. I was being facetious).  I do okay for what I do.  But I have yet been able to define my actual genre.  Its a mix of soul, gospel, jazz, country, r&b, folk, pins and needles and spaghetti.  Those last two were random but somehow fit.  Now people often tell me I'm wonderful, but those are all people that love me, are blood related, have known me for years,etc.  So, it is difficult for me to believe them sometimes.  I have myself at times "encouraged" some not so great singers to "keep on going", or let them know that they "touched my heart".  A loose interpretation of those words are "yes you were howling at the moon but I love you anyway".  Just once I would like to see what other people see when I'm up there pouring my heart out in the mic. 

I'm shy.  But when I'm alone I feel that my vocal chords are an instrument that can fight the crimes of the soul.  That's why I think its my secret super power.  Is that wierd? Pompous? Yeah, I'm not really sure either.  But in my car driving... through Vasco Road ... windmills on either side... country road and mountains on the way to my 9 to 5... I sing my most fearless songs.  I belt out notes I'm scared to sing in public. Passionate purrs. I sing sexy songs. I sing silly songs.  I sing power ballads.  In my car... my songs will melt a man's heart or empower that "not so pretty chick" to get the guy. I dance sensually, freely and because I can.  Mind you... the dancing is only chair dancing because I'm in my car. But dancing nonetheless.  My singing pulls that stressed out mother of 3 with no money or resources off of the edge of her window sill.  My songs provide her hope. They let her know that she can make it another day.  That "it" (whatever "it" is) will get better.

My singing can change the world. If I would let it.  Hmmm.... something I'll continue to ponder as I stay in my little box... called a comfort zone. Rockin' the Clark Kent prescriptions and my imaginary business suit as I put along in my car down the highway.

What's your secret super power?

14 comments:

  1. Awww. How sweet Monty. But I still think that I have untapped potential. Eh... it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DO have untapped potential. I can identify so much with everything your saying. Being able to sing but being so shy and not really able to be bold in front of others. The lord has done an amazing thing with my voice and given me a boldness that could only come from heaven.
    I used to think that I would leave the singing to all the “talented” people who could do all the runs but I had to come to realize that I cannot depend on others to do what I am called to do!
    So I decided to say YES,…. Yes I’ll do it, yes I’ll sing and something beautiful happened…I FOUND MY VOICE. When I decided to say yes I started getting invitations to sing. This made me sooooo nervous that I really tried to sabotage myself from doing it…..BUT when something is meant, you can’t run. I found that my voice is NOT only for me BUT FOR OTHER PEOPLe! There is healing and love in my voice and I JUST HAVE TO SHARE IT! This summer I am embarking on recording an album, which I go to the studio this Saturday to record my first song! YAH I AM SOOO HAPPY! Taking a step of faith, I know as long as I tune my heart to Him, He will come and it will flow!

    YOU’RE BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No ! Your beautiful and amazing!!!! I'm so excited for you. You must let me hear what you create. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got to stop holding out but instead put out!! It sounds raunchy but its intent was to light a fire. You must sing every song to the world as if your life depends on it. Each song should be a song of battle as though it is a fight to be the last woman standing. You have it in you and you have a phenomenal voice but you only let a glimmer of your light shine when indeed it should be radiate like fireworks on the 4th of July. YOU CAN DO IT. YES YOU CAN (Obama voice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right. That does sound a lil' raunchy. LOL. But I totally get your point. Sometimes I feel like people won't exactly "get" my passion. One of those "she's doin' too much" moments. But, I made a resolve that this year I would care alot less what others think of me. Wind in back. Inhibitions out of the window. Let's see how it goes. YES I CAN! (in my Sherman Klump voice)

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading this, just sing for the love of it if nothing else, there is no judgment awaiting that.

    Love, Joy and Blessings to you Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Reason. I remember as a kid seeing your family in action. It was and is still a source of inspiration for me. Also, your mom was always one of my biggest fans no matter how bad I sounded. She always told me I did well and made her cry. Not sure if it was tears of joy or pain from my adolescent stumblings upon musicality but it gave me courage anyhow. I miss her dearly.

      Thanks again...

      Delete
  6. Very well said once again Jessica. Singing IS your super power...but not your only one...You have so many talents and so much to offer this world. :) Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay... just for this sappy comment I will...just this once .... call you "Thicky Rho" instead of Olive Oyl. Lol! Thanks. I believe I'm finally catching my stride. Took me long enoough!

      Delete
  7. I need to so follow this blog, whoever this super hero is with these secret super powers like singing! I can get down with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I know who you are but the clark kent comment kept me goin! Lol!

      Delete
    2. Lol. You are funny. Please subscribe. Thanks for the support!

      Delete